Training and support for Review Groups
BEME aims that Review Groups should become self-sufficient in terms of developing the expertise needed to conduct BEME systematic reviews. Support and advice is readily available as follows:
- The BEME Board will advise on matters relating to BEME policy generally.
- The BEME Central administration is available to give telephone and email support and should be consulted on matters of policy specifically relating to conducting systematic reviews.
- Workshops are run at major medical education meetings (e.g., AAMC, AMEE, ASME) on practical aspects relating to conducting systematic reviews.
- Colleagues who have completed a BEME review are available to pass on the valuable experience they have gained to date.
Guide to Resources for systematic review groups
BEME supports review groups throughout the systematic review process with the aim of ensuring that completed and peer reviewed BEME systematic reviews achieve the standards set by the BEME Collaboration. A number of resources are available for review groups and can be downloaded for free:
- A Guide for review groups for carrying out BEME systematic reviews
- How to prepare a BEME Review Protocol
- Guidelines for using evidence to inform medical education practice and policy
- Conducting a BEME systematic review, Part 1: From idea to data coding (Guide no. 13).
- Systematic searching for evidence in medical education: BEME Guide 3 (Guide no. 3)
Examples of review coding sheets can be found in each of the published BEME systematic reviews. Please note, however, that these will have been tailored for a particular review; we suggest new review teams use other coding sheets for guidance only.
We also offer workshops to support review groups through the review process. Workshops are run at major medical education meetings (such as AMEE and other medical education conferences) on practical aspects relating to conducting reviews. Many review groups have found a workshop at the beginning and one close to completion to be invaluable. The review group is responsible for funding a training workshop.
Review groups can also receive email or telephone support from BEME. Questions can be sent directly to [email protected].